Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!!

2010 was not a bad year for me, but December did mark a period of transition from having a day job to not so much.  After 12 years with the same company, being jobless was not what I expected for Christmas.  I don't think I've ever had a big ego, and being laid off really damages a person's self-image despite the fact that I'm not alone in this endeavor.  How many times have your heard, "It's a sign of the times."  I realize now that just because a person works hard, does a good job and is swamped with work does not guarantee the job won't be cut.

I really want to use this experience to do something positive with my life.  My technical skills are now outdated.  I have lots of experience, but not with most of the acronyms I've seen on job postings in the past 4 weeks.  Of course I can learn.  But the computer industry has changed drastically in the past 15 years.  How much will it change in the next 10 years?  I did this once already when the railroad went through a merger and I didn't want to move to Topeka, Kansas.  Do I really want to start over again in the same industry?  It is where the money is if you look at careers and earnings, but I also realize there's more to life than money.  I wasn't unhappy as a software engineer.  I thought I was good at it, but I wouldn't say it was my passion.

So what now? 

Thanks to my husband's job and his medical insurance, I do have a little time to figure out what I should do next.  I'll spend some time at the workforce center and take some classes if I can.  I'll figure out what my strengths are and what I want to be when I grow up.

In my spare time, I'll make more jewelry, take pictures and post some of my recent pieces. 

Yes, I do know what my passion is.  Whether I can make the same (or better) salary and benefits as my last job is the question. 

All my best,

Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment